With so many campsites to choose from on Vancouver Island its hard to narrow it down, so we have diligently visited as many as possible, these are our Top 5 lakeside campgrounds on Vancouver Island.
- Brewster Lake – We like this site because of its gorgeous beach, like most of the best hidden rec sites, you can’t reserve them so get there early, but on a warm summers day this beach and lake make for the perfect spot to hang out. It has a combination of shaded woodland campsites and waterfront sites. This is a large site with around 30+ pitches, compost toilets and no showers.
- Cedar lake – I think this has come up on a number of my lists and I still love it. Its really small with only a few sites available, but it has a great combination of forest and lakefront and because its small its never over crowded – but you also run the risk of not getting a site. However another great benefit is that there are loads of back up options within a short drive so you are never completely left high and dry.
- Pye Lake – Located off the Hwy 19 roughly under 2 hours north of Campbell River this beautiful lake has 4x options for camping so you should be able to snag yourself a spot and it is great for Kayaking. (1) Pye Lake Rec Site (2) Pye Bay Rec Site (3) Pye Pt Rec Site and (4) Pye Beach Rec Site.
- Schoen Lake – Roughly a 30-45 Minute drive off the Hwy 19 just south of Woss it is a gorgeous small site with a large protected provincial park around it – there are only a handful of water front site but the forest sites are just as relaxing and it has a large beach to enjoy to water from.
- Sproat Lake – Just 15 minutes from Port Alberni and you can reach one of the campgrounds this is a favoured lake for swimming, fishing and water skiing.
Don’t forget to follow the ‘Leave no trace’ camping rules.
Take only memories – leave only footprints.