- 4x4, Adventure Tours, Brewster Lake, Campbell River, FarOut Wilderness, Lake Campgrounds, Overland, Pye Lake, Sayward Forest, Schoen Lake
With so many campsites to choose from on Vancouver Island its hard to narrow it down, so we have diligently visited as many as possible, these are our Top 5 lakeside campgrounds on Vancouver Island.
- Brewster Lake – We like this site because of its gorgeous beach, like most of the best hidden rec sites, you can’t reserve them so get there early, but on a warm summers day this beach and lake make for the perfect spot to hang out. It has a combination of shaded woodland campsites and waterfront sites. This is a large site with around 30+ pitches, compost toilets and no showers.
- Cedar lake – I think this has come up on a number of my lists and I still love it. Its really small with only a few sites available, but it has a great combination of forest and lakefront and because its small its never over crowded – but you also run the risk of not getting a site. However another great benefit is that there are loads of back up options within a short drive so you are never completely left high and dry.
- Pye Lake – Located off the Hwy 19 roughly under 2 hours north of Campbell River this beautiful lake has 4x options for camping so you should be able to snag yourself a spot and it is great for Kayaking. (1) Pye Lake Rec Site (2) Pye Bay Rec Site (3) Pye Pt Rec Site and (4) Pye Beach Rec Site.
- Schoen Lake – Roughly a 30-45 Minute drive off the Hwy 19 just south of Woss it is a gorgeous small site with a large protected provincial park around it – there are only a handful of water front site but the forest sites are just as relaxing and it has a large beach to enjoy to water from.
- Sproat Lake – Just 15 minutes from Port Alberni and you can reach one of the campgrounds this is a favoured lake for swimming, fishing and water skiing.
Don’t forget to follow the ‘Leave no trace’ camping rules.
Take only memories – leave only footprints.