The standard damage deposit is $1000. This will be held on your credit card for the duration of the rental and will only be released upon the return of the vehicle in the same condition. The damage deposit will not be returned if the vehicle is returned damaged in any way or the equipment comes back damaged more than what would be considered reasonable wear and tear. FarOut Wilderness Ltd reserves the right to determine reasonable wear and tear.
Damage to the vehicle caused by but not limited to howsoever caused includes; vandalism, theft, fire, animals either pet or wild, negligence of either driver, passenger or third party, external events, flood, unsafe practices, unsafe driving.
The vehicles come with ICBC Commercial Renters Auto Insurance. This policy includes $5,000,000 Third Party Liability, Comprehensive Insurance for fire, theft, vandalism and windshield at a deductible of $500 and Collision Insurance at a deductible of $1,000. Approved drivers are covered on the FarOut insurance policy however drivers are fully liable for the insurance deductible. The Excess for the policy is broken down as follows.
Comprehensive – $500 deductible covers loss or damage to vehicle from:
- Theft and vandalism
- Fire, earthquake, explosion
- Falling or flying objects such as a rock or gravel hitting your windshield
- Hitting a domestic or wild animal
- Weather—lightning, windstorm, hail, rising water
Collision – $1000 deductible Collision coverage covers your repair costs when you hit another vehicle, object or the surface of the road.
The insurance policy does not cover damage of the vehicle through;
- Improper use
- Use of vehicle outside of the rental agreement and terms and conditions
- Use of vehicle other than by the approved drivers
In such cases the insurance is void and the renter is liable for the full cost. Any cost associated with the theft, loss or damage of the equipment is borne by the renter.
We provide roadside assistance on all paved roads – no extra charge for you there and a SPOT Satellite support for back country roads, but if you go off somewhere into the wilderness where there isn’t any roads – you will need to settle the bill for recovery.
From rugged rainforests to whale watching, Vancouver Island offers a spectacular diverse range of activities.
- Carmanah Walbran Provincial Park – For ancient giant forests and beautiful rugged hiking
- Campbell River – For Excellent whale watching, kayaking
- Tofino – For stunning coastlines, surfing and great food.
- Check out some of our tours in the Adventure section to get some ideas.
Of course, most operators are fairly flexible provided they are given enough notice. As much advance notice as possible keeps them happy.
Drop us a line at any point and we will arrange any new bookings for you and advise if there will be additional costs.
Yes our vehicles are pet friendly.
However you must book your pets in advance and is subject to change at any point.
There is a $50 surcharge per pet for each booking.
Subject to the following conditions.
– You are responsible for any and all damage caused by your pet and it is NOT covered under insurance.
– Dogs claws can scratch the vinyl in the car – if your dog has caused scratches this will be subject to a $100 repair fee
– If your pet leaves substantial dirt and hair all over the car then you will be liable for a $250 full interior valet fee for the vehicle
– No pets allowed in the roof top tent – Sorry.
Vancouver Island has a diverse range of ecosystems and wilderness spots, a lot of which are located off the beaten track. Most rental companies will not insure you off a paved road or offer vehicles that aren’t suitable to travel logging roads. Our vehicles combine the 4×4 off road capabilities that allow you to explore Vancouver Islands wilder side, whilst still maintaining the comfort and ease of a standard camper.
Our 4×4 Overland vehicle rentals are fully insured to hire offroad. Which makes Vancouver Island and British Columbia a great destination for your next adventure travel vacation.
Everything you need to grab the keys and experience the beautiful British Columbia.
Standard hire includes:
- Roof top tent
- Rear mounted awning
- Side mounted LED camp lights
- 2x Camp chairs
- 1x camp table
- Cooking pot set (Sauce pans and frying pan)
- Dining set (Bowls, Cups and Plates)
- Cutlery set (Knives, forks and spoons)
- Cooking utensils
- Tea pot
- Coffee maker
- Gas stove
- Gas bottle and 1 free re-fill
- Water storage
- 4×4 Recovery kit
- Air compressor
- Step ladder
- Tool kit
- Emergency kit
- First aid kit
- GPS Tracking
- Backroads Mapbook
For a list of add-ons and extras check out our vehicles page.
We have found that the Tacoma’s hits the perfect combination for exploring British Columbia’s backcountry. It is smaller than your standard truck, which makes both city driving and off-road driving much easier to manoeuvre the vehicle.
But having the larger space compared to a short wheel based vehicle such as a jeep, allows more flexibility on the gear you can take, you aren’t so limited by space and that makes it a much more comfortable option for groups, families or those with dogs.
Remember that overlanding is different to hardcore 4×4, you aren’t trying to take our vehicle up a rock face, or at least you shouldn’t be trying that.
My personal reasons for choosing the Tacoma
- Tacoma’s are reliable
- They are great at handling off-road terrain
- They have larger carrying capacity which is great for my family
- Carries a group of 4 adults very comfortably
- They are beautiful to look at
We offer free deliveries to Victoria downtown, Victoria Airport and Swartz Bay Ferry terminal.
As of 2020 you can also collect rides from Vancouver Airport and downtown Vancouver free of charge.
We will drop of the vehicle anywhere you want it, even in the middle of Alaska – But there will be a unfortunately be a surcharge to do so. If you are interested, drop us an email and we can sort out a quote for you.
Not quite, if you aren’t using one of our itineraries, I would strongly suggest you run through the route with us first, a lot of logging roads aren’t maintained once they have past their use and a lot of roads are not passable. We can advise which ones are. Oh and stick to actual roads – don’t make your own with our vehicle ????